Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 6
With the help of a 2nd cup of coffee, I drove the first 5.5 hours. Rob then drove about 2 hours and 20 minutes, at the end of which time the sun was rising. I then drove another 3 hours or so before Rob took over for the very last part of the journey.
The kids did very well. They slept most of the way and then watched one movie before enjoying the scenery.
The scenery in north west Texas was pretty abysmal. Very flat with small, industrial, run-down towns/villages every 10 or 20 miles.
As we approached New Mexico the landscape became more hilly and then quite picturesque in New Mexico itself. As we crossed into Colorado we were seeing mountain ranges.
We got to Manitou Springs at about noon, exhausted. We walked into the town to eat lunch then came back to the house for a nap.
Dundee Cottage is very small, particularly the kitchen and bathroom. The bath itself is about the right size for someone who is 4ft 6in and weighs about 80lbs! Also, it is not particularly clean. The cupboards, kitchen utensils etc. are all a little sticky. In a good mood I would describe it as quaint. In a worse mood I would describe it as ramshackle.
After a short nap (and some heavy rain/thunderstorms) David, Rachel and I went out to the grocery store.
We ate spaghetti bolognese for dinner then went to bed.

No comments: