Day 9
This morning we drove up Pikes Peak Highway to the summit of Pikes Peak, which is at 14,110 feet. We were not disappointed with the views along the way and from the top. After quite a while looking around, both outside and in the gift shop, and having some lunch, we began our descent. At Devil's Playground (12,780 feet) we parked the car because I had seen a track that I thought would give us a better look at a particular view. A man and his 2 dogs told me it was a trail that led all the way down to Crag's campground, at about 8,500 feet. He said the walk was about 4.5 miles. After a far too brief discussion, we decided that Rob and the kids would hike down the trail and that I would drive the car back down the mountain and then to the trailhead, following the somewhat basic instructions the man had given me. After we had both gone our separate ways, it occurred to me that Rob didn't know where the trail ended, nor did he know that I had been given directions to the trailhead and my cellphone was out of batteries. At the bottom of Pikes Peak I set off on about a 20 mile journey to the other side of the mountain, a journey that ended with 3.5 miles along a dirt track. I became increasingly nervous about whether or not I would find the trailhead and whether or not Rob would have had the faith to blindly follow the trail and trust me to be at the other end! Fortunately things turned out fine. I found the trailhead, parked the van and started walking. I met a tired Rob and 3 kids a short way from the parking lot.
Once back at the cottage we all tried to rest but the kids were restless. Instead I decided to rustle up a dinner of left overs and p,b & js, after which we set off for the rodeo.
The rodeo was a lot like the one Borat goes to! Lots of patriotism and appreciation of our armed forces. Afterwards everyone agreed we would not want to go to a rodeo again. The bronco riding, bull riding and girls' barrel racing was fun to watch but no-one (especially the kids) particularly liked the roping.
On the way back from the rodeo we had to stop at The Home Depot to get a shower fluids dispenser to replace one that Helen accidentally broke yesterday.
Late to bed tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment